November 24, 2010

Today - PIES ~Pumpkin Pecan Pie Recipe and Tutorial

I thought I'd share one of my ALL TIME favorite pies for the holidays.  Its my goto pie when the mood strikes me to actually do a home-baked pie.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

Liz's Famous Pumpkin Pecan Pie


10-Inch Pie Crust (Use your favorite pie crust for a 10-inch pie.  I use frozen and transfer it into my "real" pie baker)

For the Pecan filling:

2 large eggs
1/2 cup corn syrup or pure maple syrup (I use dark corn syrup)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans

For the Pumpkin filling:

3 eggs
1 3/4 cups of pumpkin puree (15 oz can or less, it makes more than you will use)
1 cup of milk
3/4 packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
OR (I use 3 tsp of cake spice (or a smidge less vs each separate spice above)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
OPTIONAL:  1 Tbsp of tapioca pearls

This provides an ample batch of pumpkin filling, so I pour just enough into the top rim of the pie shell (don't overfill).  I found this works the best.  Discard or freeze the leftover for use in another dish.

Preheat the oven 400
Prepare the pie crust (Use your favorite).  Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net Also, the clay baker I use is bigger than the 10-inch standard pie plate so the crust doesn't go all the way to the rim.  No worries, I only like the crust on the bottom anyway AND I never did master the fluting that goes around the edge of a pie.  ,)


To prepare the pecan filling, whisk the eggs in a bowl until foamy.  Stir in the corn syrup or maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, salt and pecans.  Spread the pecan filling over the bottom of the pie crust.

Bake about 20 minutes, until the filling is set and puffed.  I like to set the pie on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet in case it boils over.

Meanwhile to prepare the pumpkin filling, whisk the eggs for the pumpkin filling and stir in the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and vanilla until well blended.  I add a Tbsp. of tapioca pearls to thicken.  This is optional.  TIP OF THE CENTURY: Use the same bowl to prepare pumpkin filling.  Less dishes to wash.

When the pecan filling has set, remove it from the oven.  Pour the pumpkin filling over the layer and bake for about 40 mins, until the pumpkin layer is set in the middle.

Decorate by pressing toasted pecan halves around the outside edge of the pie.  Cool for at least 20 mins before cutting.  Serve warm at room temp.  Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream!

Makes one 10-inch pie, serves 8.

Enjoy~


 Cast of characters:

1 cup of chopped pecans

 Favorite pie crust

Pecan filling

Bake pecan filling for 20 minutes

Cast of characters Part 2, Pumpkin filling:

Use the same bowl for the pumpkin filling

Secret weapon adding 1 Tbsp of Minute Tapioca for a creamy thickener


Pumpkin filling all blended

Remove the baked pecan filling from the oven

 Pour pumpkin filling over the baked pecan filling

 Garnish with pecan halves around the border.  
Brush pecans with melted butter/brown sugar mixture
Bake for an additional 40 minutes

Enjoy!!  Where's smellivision when you need it?

Will edit tomorrow with a picture of a yummy slice all plated up.  Touch it and you die!  Te-he.  Bonkers I tell you BONKERS!

No comments:

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails