April 21, 2010

Happy Earth Day! ReUSE, Reduce, Recycle! My DH is a Genius- Yay Yay Yay, the Futon Revisited

Originally Posted December 2007 but in honor of Earth Day I thought I would bump this up.  Try using new eyes to see things differently before you throw things away and fill up the landfills even more.  This was a simple wood futon destined for the trash heap.  As we were getting ready to load it up for the dumpster, I stopped my dh and look what we have instead?  An awesome shelf system just the perfect size for my favorite hobby stamping and paper crafts.  Thanks everyone and please enjoy this repost...

I am soooo excited I don't know what to do. This has been the bestest Christmas EVER that I have had in a long long time. I know I am a total dork because I am happy happy (did I say happy) over shelves. First I got my library shelves for the living room for Christmas, so unexpected and wonderful. Then, as if that weren't enough I got 4 count them 4 new CUSTOM made shelving units for (you'll never guess) STAMPERS. Remember the "guess what this is going to be" post? Well they are finished and attached to my wall!! Here are the before and after pictures:

BEFORE:



AFTER:


We recycled an old futon that we were going to just ship off to either goodwill or the trash. We have been cleaning the garage and I got to looking at the futon with my stampers eye. You know if it can be used for stamping or embellished or glittered we always have to keep our eye out for these things. So my genius DH figured out what to do to and did it for me right away. All we did was get some 1x2's, cut the 2 long pieces of the futon (the seat and the back) in half, added ends, nailed the 1x2 shelves to the existing slats of the futon (the stamps are sitting on the added new 1x2 pieces), cleaned them up and walla WE'VE GOT THE CUSTOM SHELVES OF THE CENTURY and we did it by re-purposing a found object. Which to me makes them even more special because they didn't cost me anything and we saved a tree or two. I wanted to take a picture with them empty so you can see the shelves better. I will take more pics when I have them all filled up (that shouldn't take me too long hahaha). Aren't they great? Now off to do more organizing...I get that way this time of year....I told ya'. skipping off whistling happy tunes..no whining even...

and some more after pix click here <----

~best,
misspriss

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is sooo great! I second the feeling of using "creative juices" to both recycle and re-organize. So happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon in NE said...

I had to stop and study the futon for a while to see it. Nice going!

Allison Rankin said...

Oh...this is bloody brilliant! Now if I hadn't trashed mine shortly after university, I too could have recycled it! Oh well, that would have meant dragging around a futon (that I hated for 10+ years)! Maybe I could coax DH into using up some of the scraps in the garage!

michelle g. said...

This is awesome! Where can I get one? ;)

Ghia said...

I found you randomly...thank goodness!!! What a BRILLIANT idea--I'm off to tear apart my futon, now!!!

Julie said...

I was looking for something EXACTLY like this to do with a futon that looks very similar to yours. Thank you so much for posting! Now I can convince my husband that it will work!

Julie said...

I was looking for something EXACTLY like this to do with a futon that looks very similar to yours. Thank you so much for posting! Now I can convince my husband that it will work!

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails