October 12, 2008

Happy Fall Y'all

Let me introduce Posy Gets Cozy's Sour Cream Apple Pie. I felt like doing some fall baking this weekend and I was able to do just that. My feeble kick-off to Fall in the Mz Prissy household. There's just nothing like the smell of fresh baked goods to bring cheer to a home. So yesterday I put together Shepherd's Pie and this morning I followed Posy's lead and bake the Sour Cream Apple Pie she shared on her blog. Mine looks pretty much the same as my other Apple Pie because I kept the topping from mine which is essentially a "Dutch Apple Pie" crisp topping. Everyone knows the best part of any pie is the topping. I know it's my favorite part. So I followed the recipe Posy gave and then kept the topping I have used for years from my recipe.


I'll update with real pictures later on when they become available. Right now everthing is charging.

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Topping (Pozy)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c. plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 t. cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour

End All Be All Pie Topping (Mz. Prissy)

1/2 c. flour
2/3-3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c. oats
3/4 teaspoon ea. ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg
1/3 c. butter or margerine

I double the topping amounts because I LOVE the topping and plus the pie pan is larger than most pie tins so I adjust the recipe accordingly to fit. I use the Pampered Chef Clay Baker.

Filling

1 1/3 c. sour cream
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

(I prefer pearl tapioca to flour but I didn't have any in the pantry so I used the flour)

4 or 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced

Pie crust (you can make your own, or use a pre-made one from the refrigerator section of the grocery store — I always do) fitted into a deep-dish 9" or 10" pie plate and chilled

To make the topping, in a bowl blend the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and flour until the mixture is combined well. Cover and chill the topping.

To make the filling, whisk together the sour cream, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs, and flour until the mixture is smooth. Add the peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples and stir the filling and apples together.

Spoon the filling into the chilled shell and crumble the topping evenly over it. Bake the pie on a baking sheet in the middle of a pre-heated 350-degree oven, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. (You might need to put a bit of tinfoil on top of the pie during the last 15 minutes to prevent the top from burning.) Transfer it to a rack and let it cool.

Mine are in the oven right now as we speak I can't wait to try it later on this afternoon. I also am making the "Mister" Cookies the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies that were shared by Sweet and Sassy. Remember these? Yummo. I can't wait until they are all finished but they will be sure to help me with some Fall Spirit, make my house smell wonderful and put some smiles on the natives faces as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

once again, while this looks wonderful - it's still not a card... lol... this is a stamping blog... right???

M!ssPr!ssy said...

srsly I KNOW

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails