May 20, 2007

Dutch Apple Pie

Follows is the recipe I use. I call it dutch because of the crumb topping. I was in the mood for some apple pie lately, so I dusted off my recipes and thought I would share. I always make mine in my clay baker from pampered chef. The secret to this recipe is to substitute pearl tapioca for the flour thickening agent . It carmelizes when thickening, making it much more like store bought... but better. The second secret is the topping, I double it for the clay baker sized pie but the oats is the secret ingredient for the topping recipe. It makes it a special topping for apple pie. Server warm with vanilla ice cream for sure!

APPLE PIE RECIPE
  • 8 or 10 in. pie crust (adjust amts to fit crust, more for 10 in.)
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 3 Tbls. flour (I substitute pearlized tapioca for thickening agent, works like a charm, no surprises like w/flour, secret ingredient)
  • 1/4 tsp ea. nutmeg, cinnamon
  • 5-10 Cs sliced tart apples
  • 1 T butter
  • ~raisins (optional)
Combine all, add to pie shell

~LIZs SECRET PIE CRISP TOPPING

  • 1/2 C flour
  • 2/3-3/4 C brn sugar
  • 1/2 C oats (secret ingredient)
  • 3/4 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon (sparingly, since it is already in the pie)
  • 1/3 C marg/butter softening
  • ~chopped walnuts (optional)
  • I normally double this recipe
Combine all, wire wisk until coarse, sprinkle on top of pie, bake 425 for 30-34 minutes, covered w/tin foil, uncover last 15 minutes to crisp up. ~Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails