January 03, 2011

Fanny's Heirloom Apple Bars

  Should Old Acquaintance be forgot,
and never thought upon;
The flames of Love extinguished,
and fully past and gone:
Is thy sweet Heart now grown so cold,
that loving Breast of thine;
That thou canst never once reflect
on Old long syne.

These will be but a memory...

My Heart is ravisht with delight,
when thee I think upon;
All Grief and Sorrow takes the flight,
and speedily is gone;
The bright resemblance of thy Face,
so fills this, Heart of mine;
That Force nor Fate can me displease,
for Old long syne.
Since thoughts of thee doth banish grief,
when from thee I am gone;
will not thy presence yield relief,
to this sad Heart of mine:

Say goodbye to old friends...

Why doth thy presence defeat me,
Say hello to my new friend... (forever)

 with excellence divine?
Especially when I reflect

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne. 

 


Perhaps the title of this post should have been, again... don't ever ever ever try this at home children.... EVER!!  I jest but srsly this will probably be the last recipe I share that doesn't contain carrots.  So good-bye old friend hello new friend =C.  This recipe is another from my heirloom collection of recipes I have from my Grandmother Fanny (R.I.P.)  She was an awesome cook.  This was a family reunion or potluck favorite.  Enjoy!

Fanny's Heirloom Apple Bars

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cup butter
4 beaten egg yolks
4 medium apples, pared, cored, sliced (4 cups)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 slightly beaten egg white

Combine the 4 cups of flour, the 1 cup of sugar, the baking powder and salt; cut in butter or margarine till crumbs are the size of peas.  Stir in egg yolks.  Divide mixture in half.  Press one half over the bottom of a cookie sheet size baking pan.  Combine apples, the remaining sugar and the flour, and the cinnamon;  arrange over bottom crust.  Crumble remaining dough over apples.  Brush egg white over all.  Bake @350 over for 40 min.  Cool drizzle with powder sugar icing, if desired.  Cut into bars.  Makes 4 dozen.

M!issPr!ssy



No comments:

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails