January 13, 2009

Organizer

Necessity is the mother of invention so they say. I have been recently accumulating quite a few packages of rub-ons, stickers and bling that needed a home. They had outgrown the little drawer I was storing them in.

I've had my eyes on and on my wish list for a loooooong time a commercially made one of these organizers (normally on a carousel type thingy). The price deterred me as it will cost you close to $100++ (that's one hundred) to get into a base model (the base, extender and clips and more if you want xtra's). I like to have all of my stuff visible where I can see it. I don't know about you but I would rather spend my $ on more stamps or paper or ribbon than an item to STORE all of the above.

I started looking around with the items I already "have" that could be repurposed for this same function. I also had bought a pkg of the clips at JoAnne's a while back for $2.99 similar to the ones used with this in mind, I just hadn't thought of an idea yet. At first, I thought I might afix a dowel rod underneath my cabinet area but didn't have enough room because then the pkg.'s would be hanging in front of all of my other stuff. I dropped that idea because that was the only place for it. Then I remembered the FREE wood crates I snagged at Costco a while back. They were empty wine bottle crates and I got them for FREE. I just keep my eyes open in the wine department everytime I go to Costco. I've picked up three so far.

That was when my lightbulb went off. I could drill a hole in each side, slide a dowel rod through the top and hang my clips. The FREE box and 3 bags of $3.00 clips later for approx $10.00 total give or take a few pennies, I have a functional organizer that does the same thing as the commercially made one for a fraction of the cost. I also like mine better because I can use the top for a shelf and the round carousel model you cannot do that. Yay I saved $90++ and in this economy I can use every penny I can get. How about you? EDITED TO ADD: Maybe I can even purchase a camera with the money I saved .

FRONT VIEW
(I am going to reinforce the dowel with a hook so it doesn't sag in the center)


WINE BOX LOGO
(Pretty cool design !SCORE!)


CLOSEUP OF THE DOWEL END
(I am going to affix a wood ball on the end to finish it off)


BAG OF CLIPS
($2.99 JoAnne's Jewery Dept.)


CLOSEUP OF THE ROD AND CLIPS


MULTI-FUNCTIONALITY
(The top can be used as an extra shelf.
Plus room to grow.
If I run out of space the price is right
I'll just go find another FREE box. hehe)


GENIUS I TELL YA BUT I AM SURE SOMEONE ELSE HAS ALREADY THOUGHT OF IT!!

2 comments:

spangle said...

Definitely GENIOUS! I love it and I may just copy it!

michelle g. said...

I think you should show some of your other ingenious organizational creations (how you store your nestabilities, your ribbon container, ect.)

I seriously need help in this department -everything is such a disaster in my craftastic space!

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails