March 01, 2008

Recipe Tutorial ~ Fanny's Famous Pork Chop & Sour Kraut Casserole

This is one of my all time favorite comfort foods. This recipe was passed down for generations from my maternal Grandmother, Fanny. (ok so I embellished my story and I just made that up....creative license and what's wrong with embellishments... anyone got any glitter?) But truthfully she is my favorite Gram's of all time (God rest her soul). Ok I only had one that I knew because my dad's mom died in childbirth when he was just a boy. Sad I never knew her. Funny now that I think about it I don't think I've even seen a picture of her. Odd. hhhmmm think I might have to check into that one. Now for the recipe....it's really really simple just a few ingredients.

Depending upon the size of clan you are feeding or if you want to make a big batch for the week. I usually make a brownie pan or lasagna pan size batch which is a 9x12 glass dish and 8-10 chops.
Fanny's Famous Pork Chop & Sour Kraut Casserole
  • 6-12 center cut pork chops - trim the fat and brown on both sides with a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil.
  • 1-2 large jars of sour kraut (any kind you prefer) drained
  • 1 onion chopped
  • Brown sugar to taste
  • Mustard to taste
  • 1-2 cans of cream soup (again any flavor mushroom, chicken or celery) I think celery adds a great flavor
  • T=Tablespoon
  • t=teaspoon
Start out by browning the pork chops in a couple of Ts of oil on both sides. You don't have to worry about cooking the pork chops thoroughly because we will bake them again later.

Chef tip: To stretch your food budget cut center pork chops in half the long way to double your servings. I did this with these and ended up with 12 total later on for the dish.



While the pork chops are browning... assemble your other ingredients



Drain the sour kraut in a strainer and chop the onion



Stir chopped onion, brown sugar and the mustard (you can use yellow mustard just so happens I had Dijon on hand) into the sour kraut. I just stirred it in the strainer so as not to dirty another bowl. I just season to taste and this time turns out it could have used more brown sugar.



Coat your dish with a little Pam for easier clean up later. Especially around the edges. I use Pam for everything.

Chef Tip: Spray your spatula with Pam when cooking eggs over-easy. That way your spatula won't stick to the eggs and they will slide off quickly and minimize another possibility to break. Little known factoid about missprissy: I can't cook eggs over-easy to save my life.....they are invariably over cooked or broken.


Spread the seasoned sour kraut mixture in the bottom of the dish



Top with a layer of browned pork chops



Using a spatula spread cream soup over the pork chops (full strength do not dilute the soup with water or milk). Use 1-2 cans of cream soup depending upon the size of your batch. I used one this time but turns out it could have used 2.



Cover with aluminum foil and bake in 375 Oven for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly. Remove the foil during the last 10-15 minutes to brown the top. Enjoy!



I like to serve this with a side of potato perogis and some gravy, hot rolls YUM!!


I used packet gravy...

1 comment:

Michele Kovack said...

OK now you just made me very hungry!!! This looks delicious! I am off to print this recipe!

Followers

Related Posts with Thumbnails